The psychotherapy session provides a safe, confidential, non-judgmental environment where a person can identify and come to terms with emotions and needs. The process of psychotherapy will help:
- Define problems and underlying issues
- Learn what is “normal,” “natural,” or expectable in current circumstances
- Discover misconceptions or conflicts that may be blocking action or change
- Change self-defeating behavior and dysfunctional patterns of interaction
- Gain tools, along with hope or courage to take charge of life.
There is nothing mystical or “weird” about a therapy session. We simply sit and talk. My clients tell me that while they may arrive at their first session feeling a little nervous, they are comfortable with the process moments after we have begun talking.